Monday, December 17, 2007

Ernie's Christmas Commentary

Last night our family, accompanied by our friends, The Nelsons, enjoyed an evening of beautiful music and Christmas celebration at our Stake Center. The concert was filled with choir songs, solos, instrumental performances and even an A Capella song about the Christ child. Our sons got to see their mother play in a flute ensemble, which was a real treat. It was warm, spiritual and inviting. It also showcased the reasoning behind Christmas, which is to celebrate our dear Savior's birth.

Another family recently dropped off a Christmas CD entitled "Simple Gifts" with 10 recorded instrumentals recorded by four of their family members. It includes the harp, guitar and 2 violins. The Mumfords recorded it in their house, which is just a few blocks from ours. It's professional grade. It highlights the simplicity that should envelop this season. Mumfords, you made the season!

Another family continues to drop off daily Christmas items at our door commemorating the Twelve Days of Christmas. We don't exactly know who they are, but we have an educated guess.

I must admit over the last several years that I cringe when Christmas comes upon us. It's not because I dislike the holiday but I've come to resent what we, as a nation, have done to the holiday. I'm reminded of a scene from "Jingle All the Way" where everyone is rushing to get the toy of the season and they end of fighting and wrestling to participate in the lottery for that coveted prize. The scene is accompanied by Steve Lawrence singing "It's the most wonderful time of the year ..." Although the movie is extremely funny, it underscores the sickness that has plagued this holiday, which is intense consumerism. Retailers can't underscore enough how deeply they depend on Christmas to meet annual profits. That point underscores the flaws in the retail business. They need to re-market and re-align their business plan. I want them to be successful.

I recall seven years ago, while I was in the middle of one of my best financial years ever, I went nuts on Christmas presents. I bought everyone very expensive gifts, only to have nearly half of the recipients whine and complain about colors, sizes, styles, and shapes. I've never been more disgusted on Christmas morning. When we returned to the mall the next day (another American sickness) to return or exchange gifts, I recall one family member realize the cost of the gift. She felt bad. So did I.

I vowed never to repeat that mistake. All those gifts stomped on the heart of the season.

I often compare that Christmas to my favorite Christmas ever, which was the one I spent in Quito, Ecuador. Sitting atop a white-washed apartment overlooking the majestic city of Quito, myself and the three missionaries with whom I served spent Christmas Eve visiting neighbors and church members. We sang songs, ate simple foods and basked in the Christmas lights that adorned that great city. We watched and enjoyed a televised Catholic mass, told stories in Spanish and shared our love of Jesus Christ. It was bliss! On Christmas morning we awoke to clear blue skies and people singing Christmas carols in Spanish as they walked down the street. Our Christmas tree was no more than 3 feet tall, and there were maybe six presents under it. We said a prayer, opened our presents and then called our families back in the States. Although I missed my family, there was no place I would rather have been at that moment.

Don't misunderstand, I love to give and receive gifts. But I'm a big believer in simplicity. Ecuador was simple. We can learn a lot from Ecuador.

I'm pleased my children haven't begged me for anything this season. We're keeping it low-key, in hopes they will catch the true feeling of Christmas.

It's my hope families can capture the goodness that Christmas should be. My favorite aspects of the holiday are the simple ones, such as the caroling at the doors, the cookie plates, goodies, and my all-time favorite, which is to receive Christmas cards and newsletters. Christmas is an excellent time to re-connect with old friends and loved ones. This is what our Savior wants.

1 comment:

Katie and Lane said...

I love this Commentary on a simple Christmas. Here in Japan, Christmas is not a national holiday and nor do the Japanese know the true meaning. These last two years here have been good for teaching Grace and Sophia about Christmas. I am glad you guys had a good christmas season this year.